historical city of Sandakan is home to many buildings and monuments,
each witness to the change of time and events over the years. One of
the oldest buildings is none other than the St. Michael's and All
The construction of the first stone building in Sabah began in 1893 and was only completed in the 1906. Designed by New Zealander Mr. B.W Mountfort, the building was first constructed with belian wood, followed by brick and finlly stone, which is said to have from the nearby Buli Sim Sim while the white stones that adorn the windows and doors are from Hong Kong.
The stones were delivered from Buli Sim Sim by prison labour at RM1.25 per cubic yard. A cubic foot of stone weighs approximately 140 lbs and each stone was painstakingly laid atop each other. During the 1906 Michaelmas Celebration, celebrated on 30 September, the nave and transepts were finally dedicated. Three services were held that day to celebrate the goodness of God and the faith of His people.
The western porch (the main entrance) of the Church was not completed and dedicated until 1925 - 32 years from the date of its construction. The Church avoided major damages during the Second World War in the 40s and remains one of the very few stone buildings in the whole of Sabah. The Church was also one of the many places where the Prisoners of War who trekked the Sandakan Death March spent a night before continuing the march.
The beautiful stained glass windows found here were donated by Australians to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the end of World War II.